Planning to tie the knot soon? And let me guess, you want to coome out of it still having some change in your pocket? Then, you probably have already thought about giving the DIY Wedding strategy a chance. And I don’t blame you, because I did as well. But before you start making those paper flower arangements, get yourself ready by reading The truth behind a gorgeous DIY wedding.
Each couple has their own concept of a perfect wedding, that’s for sure. But what most couples have in common is the desire of not being broke after their wedding. In a century where getting married and spending millions of dollars is considered normal, you might be looked at in a strange way if you don’t have DJ at your reception or if you decide not to have a reception at all!
But, in all honesty, there is no worse way to start life together as a family but to get a loan or have debts to pay off your wedding. So, some extremely smart people invented the concept of DIY Wedding which pretty much means you get to do all the work and save all the money :)). Don’t get too excited though, it is a lot of hard work and there are some things you should give a thought to before deciding on this kind of wedding.
But, I DIY ed almost everything about my wedding, so you need to read this:
WHAT NOT TO EXPECT WHEN DIY-ing your WEDDING
- … everything to turn out perfect- Yes, your helium balloons might fall off the wall, the friends in charge with the food might be 30 minutes late, you might have a couple moments of silence because you didn’t hire a DJ for the music, BUT your wedding will still be one of the best days of your life and a lot of fun if you have the right people by your side.
- …to be able to invite a lot of people- In my opinion, DIY weddings should really be kept small, just because there is so much work to be done. Even when you have friends to help with some projects, the main work still falls on you.
- …to have a completely stress free day- Let’s face it, even if you pay for someone to plan and organize your wedding, there is still a lot of stress involved with the decision making. Well, that stress level will increase quite a bit with a DIY wedding considering you need to both plan and execute everything yourself.
- …to have less fun than in any other regular wedding-You can still have all the things you’ve been planning to have for your dream wedding since you were little and you can have the time of your life. It’s just, first you need to do all the hard work!
- …automatic savings- Just because you’re DIY ing your wedding, doesn’t mean everything will come cheaper.You can still buy or rent silk napkins instead of going for a cheaper alternative and that will give you 0 savings in your pocket. Be smart about your decisions.
- …less gifts- Did you ever think about how people bring gifts and sometimes even money regardless of the type of the wedding? Well, add that up to the money you save because you’re DIY ing your wedding and you might just come out spending no money at all!
- …anyone to notice you did all the work- If you do your homework good and you are organized, most of your projects will probably turn really nice, your salon will look gorgeous and the food will be yummy! Don’t expect people to ask you how you managed to get it done, because more often than not, they’re going to think you paid someone to do it.
1… to have to clean up after the party- Unless you have trolls as friends 😀 you will have plenty of people helping you out in the end of the night, but you will still have to do a bit of cleaning and organizing after the party. Deciding which DIY decorations to keep, gathering the flowers and depending on your venue and food, cleaning up all the tables and the room
2…to have to hire a photographer- As cool as a DIY wedding sounds, if you want to have amazing pictures of your wedding, you should hire a professional photographer. Unless you have one of those as your best friend, I wouldn’t count on “friends” that supposedly have good photography skills, unless you see their work before hand and you really like it. Otherwise, you risk being disappointed when you see the pictures and after that there is no way back!
3…people to have fun regardless of how fancy the chair covers are- It is true, having an elegant or pretty wedding can be very important for some people. But what is even more true is that at the end of the day, most of the memories made will be related to how fun the wedding was, how you and your friends and family had a great time and enjoyed the moment. So yes, do your best to make your wedding stylish or pretty, but don’t forget the main reason for the celebration- you and your husband/wife.
What parts of a wedding are easiest to DIY and what should you should leave for the professionals.
Some of my favorite DIY projects
that I ended up doing for my own wedding as well:
What are the plans for your wedding? Which of these tips do you think are easiest to include?